There is a new menace on the streets of Lahore. We have all heard many times of mobile snatchings before but that usually happens either at night in dark alleys or on deserted streets during daytime, when a lone guy talking on phone becomes the victim. But lately it has come to my Notice that now mobile snatcher have become more bold and that they are doing the snatching in broad daylight in busy traffic. Two of my acquaintances have lost their mobiles on traffic lights within a month. One a few weeks back on Traffic light opposite of siddique Trade centre and the other one today (14-nov-2011) on traffic light of Cavalry ground bridge. Both had their Iphone 4 stolen while it was easily on display on their car dashboard or in their hand and the Modus operandi of the snatchers was the same.
A young man casually passes by and brushes against the side-view mirror. Subconsciously the victim lowers the window glass to readjust the mirror; another boy picks the phone and runs away. In extreme cases the other boy puts a gun to the victim’s head.
Another method is that a guy knocks the rear side of the car and when the victim looks back to check, another guy grabs the phone and runs off ( If you know any other way add in comment).
So far I believe it’s a single gang working within Gulberg area mainly because of proximity to Hafeez centre where the sets can be sold- no questions asked. So I advise people to be especially careful in that area.
Some Suggestions to keep your mobile safe
- Do not use your cell phone while driving it is also against traffic rules.
- Do not display your cell on car dashboard or in your hand keep it in your pocket.
- If you have a laptop do not keep it on back seat keep it in under the seat.
- Try to be in middle lane on signals as snatchers target cars on outside lane as it’s easy to run away.
- In night especially after 12 if traffic is minimum, do not wait for red-light.
- Keep you phones locked with security software so the snatchers can’t use it without flashing your cell in turn keeping your personal data safe.
- Don’t keep personal data on phone especially on memory card.
- Keep you IME number (*#06#) safe and incase of losing phone you can register complaint on http://cplc.org.pk/.
- In emergency you can call PTA helpline 0800-25625.
- Block your sim immediately as it can be used for terrorist activity.